Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Kindergarten 2.0?


Pete is in kindergarten. He loves his school and most days is standing at the door tapping his foot ready for school long before his parents are fully dressed. On Friday we attended a spring parent-teacher conference. Since he is at a lovely hippie school, it was called a "child led conference" and we lit a candle to remember Grandpa and call the fire sprite. (Really, we did) As with any interaction we have with his teachers, we left feeling supported and very secure in the fact that Pete is extremely loved in his classroom and school community. We could not be happier with his current situation. Every time I walk onto the campus, I just want to hug people. And I haven't felt like that since college. So what's the problem? He's just not ready for first grade. 
Pete has Sensory Processing Disorder. (info) Some days he manages to hold it together fairly well. Other days he is a wiggly spinning crying yelling jumping mess of a boy. He takes some special handling.  He is currently not receiving OT because he is doing so well with yoga and our arsenal of sensory activities. A gluten and casein free diet has also made a world of difference for Pete. His teachers have been very open to learning about SPD and neither us nor his teachers feel that his sensory issues have held him back academically or socially this year. (yay!)
He is also a young kindergartener. He will be 6 in mid-summer. He recognizes 17 uppercase letters and can connect a handful of letters with their sounds. In 1985, when I was in kindergarten, that would have been enough. Current curriculum calls for children to be well on the road to reading by the end of the kindergarten year. 
We have no idea what to do. It seems the school is willing to leave the decision up to us. 
I want to raise a child who loves to read.
I want to raise a child who loves school and learning.
I want reading to be fun, not homework.
I want school to be fun for as long as possible. 
I want him to play and build fairy houses and make rockets out of paper and crap from the recycling bin.
I want to have unlimited money to keep him in private school forever.
I want money to not be a factor in this decision. 
I want him to be happy.
I want him to feel smart. 
I want him to keep him little forever.
I want him to be a big boy with his friends. 
I want him to be happy.
I want him to be happy. 
I want him to be happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment